Get up to speed with these resources we’ve collected for your area of focus – Catering, Specialty Foods, and Mobile Vending:
Useful Information for Prepared Foods Businesses and Caterers:
The Small Business Administration – The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) was created in 1953 as an independent agency of the federal government to aid, counsel, assist and protect the interests of small business concerns, to preserve free competitive enterprise and to maintain and strengthen the overall economy of our nation.
- State Requirements
- Federal Requirements
- Employer Identification Number or Federal Tax Identification Number
Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC):
- Application/Selection and Forms
- Industry Advisories
- License Types/Fees
- License Query System
- Licensing Reports
- Penalty Guidelines
- Protest Instructions/Forms
- Public Records Requests
- Server Awareness (LEAD) Training
Specialty Food Industry Resources:
- National Association for the Specialty Food Trade – The Specialty Food industry’s online home. Browse through the site and discover the many new features and resources it has to offer.
- William C. Hurst & Estes Reynolds, Extension Food Scientists
- George A. Schuler & P.T. Tybor, Former Extension Food Scientists
- Getting Started in the Specialty Food BusinessA New Way to Look at Marketing by Michael Brito Food Marketing Institute – Food Marketing Institute (FMI) conducts programs in public affairs, food safety, research, education and industry relations on behalf of its 1,500 member companies – food retailers and wholesalers – in the United States and around the world.
- The Gourmet Retailer – A website created for retailers in the specialty food and housewares industries. Here you will find the latest industry news, trade show dates and information, links to industry associations, web-exclusive articles, and a searchable archive of hundreds of articles from The Gourmet Retailer print edition.
Mobile Vending Resources:
- SF Cart Project – Making Street Food happen. All the time.
- The SF Cart Project seeks to complement the research of people interested in starting or expanding a street food business of their own. Providing a relevant central resource for documents, information and community awareness regarding the often confusing (and occasionally contradictory) process of starting and running a legal mobile food business in the Bay Area.
- General California Guidelines
- San Francisco Mobile Food Cart and Truck Information
- Starting a Legal Mobile Vending Business
- SF/Bay Area Street Food Locator
- Street Vendor Project NYC – The Street Vendor Project is a membership-based project with more than 750 active vendor members who are working together to create a vendors movement for permanent change. The project reaches out to vendors in the streets and storage garages and teach them about their legal rights and responsibilities.
- Vendy Awards – The Vendy Awards is a fundraiser to support the Street Vendor Project of the Urban Justice Center, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides a voice for the thousands of people who sell food and merchandise on the streets of New York City.
- San Francisco Street Food Festival
- California Cart Builder – Manufacturing the highest quality Mobile Kitchen, Concession Trailer, Emergency Response Kitchen, Catering Trailer, Catering Truck and Institutional Food Service Trailer that will meet all federal codes, and your State Codes. Can meet your local Health Codes too!